Thursday, June 30, 2011

My Grandfather, The Mendocino County Sheriff's Deputy


Over the past decade or so I have developed a serious passion for photography. As this passion has matured I have realized that it is not just about me picking up a camera and snapping off shots. It is also about the love of a photograph and the historical significance of it. From my perspective even more so when it comes to family photographs. A while back I invested in a high end photo scanner and have been on an intense and passionate quest to restore and preserve the past. I find myself endlessly sifting through boxes and bins of family photos. On a recent visit to my grandparents' house I came across a group of photos of my grandfather in the early days of his law enforcement career. Although he retired as a California Highway Patrolman, he began as a Mendocino County Sheriff's deputy in Northern California. These classic black and white photographs are impressive to me in their quality considering their age. They are almost perfectly preserved as they have been stored away for decades. Although he cannot pinpoint an exact date or year, my grandfather believes these were taken sometime around 1965. Finding these photos is my version of striking a goldmine as he has been my hero since day one.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this project! I share your passion for photos of the family past.
    I see the resemblance between you and him.

    ReplyDelete