Sunday, July 8, 2012

One pup at a time

Lucy enjoys a nice back rub from Ken
 
Prince grabs his custom made Fido toy from a basin of ice water and takes off





Most Saturday mornings I wake up earlier than I prefer and join a group of friends with the sole purpose of building fences and unchaining dogs in an organization known as Fences For Fido. The goal is a simple and realistic one. It happens one build at a time. The outcomes are almost always happy and joyous. This is the highlight of our week. Typically, I barely make it to work on time after the long drive to work (usually running to the shop while buttoning up my shirt and messing with my hair). I spend the rest of the afternoon and evening talking about the dog of the day and what we do around the area to my clients. However, my spirit usually veers off to the bluer side when I get home and settle in for the night. As I read through the news and Facebook postings I come across tortured dogs given away on Craigslist, dogs dying of neglect and starvation that are tied to trees, animals of war torn countries that are suffering, and horse tripping at rodeos. The list goes on and on. I felt the need tonight to post a couple of pictures from todays build of a 17 year old lab named Lucy and a young pittie named Prince. As you can see these fidos are grateful and happy. My point is that good things are happening out there and progress is being made one day and one puppy at a time.

2 comments:

  1. Tears Nick. I so know what you mean. We help one and see ten more that need someone to help them. But as long as we fight the fight....it's one more dog that knows freedom. Your words ring so true.

    ReplyDelete